Sunday, May 22, 2011

Surgery as a Birthday Present

We are excited to say that I finally have a surgery date!!!!! So, Scott and I planned and did celebrate my birthday yesterday. We also had an appointment with Dr. Divine (Cincinnati doctor in charge of finances) yesterday at 12:00. Scott worked from home yesterday morning while I studied our script of what I was going to say to convince Dr. Divine that Cincinnati needed to pay for this hip surgery in Nashville, TN. I made Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies as a piece offering as well.


We had to wait a little bit to be able to see Dr. Divine, which was totally ok since I actually knew we were going to be able to see him. This has been a long awaited day. We have tried to get something with him for more than a month now. We have had an appointment scheduled only to find out he was out of town. Nevertheless it has been a very frustrating experience to just be able to see this Dr.


We started out by talking to him about his trip to SLC and the mountains. Then went straight into… I talked briefly to you several weeks ago that I am sure that we are going to have to do a labral tear fix surgery. This surgery is very important and has a huge impact on not only the future of my athletic carrer, but also my mobility and my family in general. Because the decision on who performs this surgery is a critical decision


Dr. Divine interups and says, “Don’t tell me you want to go to Dr. Byrd (Dr. in TN I have been wanting to go see.)”


I continued, “I have done a lot of research on different surgeons. I have read personal reviews online, read journal articles, and talked to several people at UC and elsewhere. This is what I have learned through that research…


This is where the plan got interrupted and Dr. Divine again and he said, “I don’t mean to minimize this in any way, but you have practiced this speech a time or two haven’t you?”


“ Yes, I have, because this affects the REST of my LIFE. This is an extremely important decision to me!”


Well, I tried to go on with me speech which I won’t boar everyone with, but it was amazing (because of Scott’s help).


The jest of the rest of the conversation was that UC will pay for the surgery!!!!! I was SO EXCITED! We thanked him talked about logistics and ran out of there. We went to the indoor track and shouted and pranced around. I think it was more me prancing around Scott. We also said a prayer of thanks that I feel is so inadequate. The Lord truly blesses us.


The end of the story is that I got a hold of the office and we are going to be going for the appointment the 22nd (our 4 year anniversary), surgery on the 23rd, and post-op on the 24th of June!


I want to say thank you so much to all of you. We know that all of our prayers have been answered and have felt everyone’s love.


That night we went to an AMAZING dinner on Nielsen, because Scott is loved a lot at work (another huge blessing). It is a rotating restaurant. We both had steak. I had the best filet mignon I have EVER eaten. I didn’t even need to chew the meat! We went on a lovely walk and then did presents


Scott got me a 24-count mini muffin tin pan and plastic whisk (something I’ve been wanting for a while now). He also bought a necklace and matching bracelet, some muffin tin liners. The best thing was a baseball glove!! We played catch for 5 minutes before we watched a movie together.


This was the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!! I got the best news and gifts and had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment